Saturday, April 5, 2008

Ignorance is bliss????

Tonight's posting was inspired by Belle who made a comment under the posting "A piece of HISTORY".

Belle's comment made me reflect about the countless of "extinct" stuff I had the opportunity to see during the course of my work within the Tiong Bahru Estate.

For example, I saw this interesting stove about 2 years ago.

I kinda knew the stove might be of some value to some but I just do not know where I might be able to find such a person.




The owner of the stove was so pre-occupied with packing up his stuff for the moving out, he did not have time to think about who might want this piece of "junk". So he did the easiest thing, pay someone to discard them.

Looking at Belle's comments tonight, this stove came back to haunt me and reminded me of my indifference towards rare things from the past.


I did some online searching for a similar looking stove and found that one exists in some UK museum. You may want to check it out here:
Science Museum.


The article on the similar stove could be found here: New World Gas Cooker


I now know that these types of stoves were designed in the 1930s and were in use till 1973.

If only I did some online searching earlier.

No comments: